Sunday 6 September 2009

Plum and greengage wine


This is my first attempt at plum (left) and greengage (right) wine. Here, they have just been racked. This is more or less what I did for each:

Wash and cut 2kg of fruit, removing stones. Put in a big bucket. Boil 4.5 litres of water. Pour the water over the fruit (this kills wild yeast and other stray nasties) and add sugar: for the greengages I used 2kg and for the plum I used 1kg. Leave for half a day to cool, add yeast nutrient, pectolase and tannin. Another half-day later, add half a packet of dried all-purpose white wine yeast to each bucket. Because the greengages had more sugar in them, the yeast in that bucket was a lot more active. Leave for a week then rack into sterilised demi-johns (as pictured!).

I will bottle it in a month or so. It will be 6 months or so before it is ok to drink. (Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's wonderful book and this link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment